Monday, October 10, 2011

writer's block

Writer's block is what I've got.

I sit down with my guitar and a notebook. No lyrics.

I sit down at my computer with Blogger open. No inspiration.

My brain is a little foggy right now but I hope to be back in the swing of things soon. I have the chance to submit a short story/memoir for a compilation book about faith-based short-term urban volunteerism, and I sure would love to write something worth publishing! Deadline is this Friday... and I have a blank page thusfar. Prayers appreciated.


Have you ever had writer's block? If so, how did YOU overcome?

*megan

1 comment:

  1. I know this declaration and cry for help is long in the past and it is far beyond too late to offer my advice, but im sure writer's block will hit you again someday. So, when that day comes, here's a few things that have helped and do help me when I get the sudden inability to use the creative part of my brain.

    1) If I have time, watching a movie about a writer always seems to help me. Such as: Stranger than Fiction, Becoming Jane, Finding Neverland, Miss Poter, and more.

    Draw backs of this specific piece of advice can include false inspiration which produces almost identical works to that of which you just watched in the film.

    Translation, sometimes (keyword: sometimes) I'll sit down after watching Becoming Jane and I'll start writing stories that are almost exactly like hers. And that's no bueno.

    2) Reading short stories (of ALL sorts) online for a half-an-hour, give-or-take.

    3) Reading poetry for a little while.

    I find that this helps me when I'm wanting to write a blog post because I can expound on a thought that a poem happened to inspire in my head. This way I don't feel like I'm copying and I can come up with something brilliant. It's like the push into the water and then that's when I swim and work my muscles (or in this case my creative brain).

    Hope these help next time your cramped. (:

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment here, or email me at megan.munro7@gmail.com! I look forward to hearing from you!